Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My First “First Ascent”

Trip Report

I have experienced most of my outdoor “firsts” in the company of Dr. Bob, Rayman, and Tim. This year alone, while traipsing through the wilds of Western Pennsylvania with them, I dry-tooled my first rock climb, learned how to cross a raging creek by joining a human tripod, saw my first Hellgrammite, built my first trail, and got a first ascent.

On Sunday, July 6, I made my first ever first ascent. I'd been present for other first ascents, most notably, with Indy at Cumberland, but I never had done one myself. So here goes.

Tim and other local PA activists have recently been climbing on some cliffs off of the Ohiopyle Bike Trail. Rayman, and Tim and Laura, have done most of the development, and have generously shared the new cliffs with us big-city climbers from the 'burgh.


Well, eventually the Park Service noticed the activity. Not that climbing in a PA State Park is illegal. But, they were concerned about the environmental impact of too many climbers accessing the cliffs, in particular as regards erosion.

I understand Tim and Laura had the opportunity to meet with two park rangers. And it turned out that there was a solution with mutual benefit to all. Being a local attraction/vacation destination, with Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house, ample opportunities for hiking, kayaking, rafting, swimming and biking, a well developed climbing area would have the potential of further positive economic impact on the region.

The Park Service, so I heard, had a geological study done of the cliffs near Bruner Run, where kayakers and rafters take out their boats. The cliffs were deemed pretty solid and devoid of much loose rock, in other words, they were thought good cliffs to climb on by the geologists. The park rangers then flagged a possible access trail to the cliffs which would minimize the erosion of the hillside once large parties of guided climbing parties would begin to climb there.

All the Park Service needed was some local climbers to set up routes, and some volunteers to prepare the trail. So... Tim offered he would get volunteers to put in the trail and the routes and in exchange, the Park Service gave him a key to access the road that leads to the cliff, access to their tool shack (drool), and promised to cover expenses for anchors and bolts. How sweet its that!

Tim, Laura, Dr. Bob, Toni and I headed there on Sunday, armed with tools I had never seen, like a McLoud. Unfortunately, Tiziana, Rupert, and Nick, who tried to join as later, were unable to get to the area.

Tim explained how to make a trail, and we started to play in the mud! We prepped about 75 yards of trail, and engineered a log bridge and several stone stairs. Fun, fun.

Then, finally, it was time to climb. I walked along the cliff and looked at possible routes. Then, Dr. Bob went up to the cliff top and was kind enough to drop a toprope on what was to my mind the easiest route I had seen. I got to climb the line first; Toni belayed. There was some amount of loose rock that I trundled. And so, when I found out that this was indeed a new route and that I would get to name it, the first name that popped into my mind was “Trundlequeen”.

I thought the route should be graded 5.7. It was definitely harder than 5.5 and easier than 5.8. I was not sure whether it should be 5.6 or 5.7. The cliff was quite wet and somewhat dirty, so it might have felt harder to me on that day than it would on a dry day or once the route was cleaned of dirt. On the other hand, the route wanders a bit, and, while all the holds are there, one does have to look around for feet and work things out. Considering also that this is supposed to become an area for teaching new climbers, I thought there was no point in sandbagging this route by calling it a 5.6. A 5.7 grade seemed merited.

Toni, Dr. Bob, and Tim climbed the route as well, to confirm my assessment. Toni and Dr. Bob agreed with my 5.7 rating. Tim thought it could be a 5.6, also, renewing my doubts. But, then Laura chimed in that Tim only climbs very hard grades; and she thought he did not remember what an easy grade ought to feel like. A consensus was finally reached to grade the climb 5.7.

So here it is:



Tundlequeen, 5.7
FA: Regina Schulte-Ladbeck and Toni Price
6 July 2008
Bruner Run Take Out.







Leadership Reflections


Legacy is a strong leadership motivator. We can decided to organize our lives toward the legacy we wish to leave, and act accordingly.

We need witnesses to leave a legacy. Most of the time accomplishing anything in concert with, and to the approval of, others, is hard work. Yet it can also be very rewarding. There are many leaders whose leadership acts have been recorded, and judged. Their names are part of history.

Most of us have the desire and the drive to leave something behind to immortalize our existence. For many of us, having children is our legacy. Our children will remember us, talk about us, and will enact our lessons (so we hope), long after we are gone. As teachers we have many opportunities to influence and guide lives. We are rewarded when we learn that our progeny succeeded to find purpose and happiness through our teachings, and possibly, eventually superseded us. A scientists legacy takes the form of the tomes of knowledge that we produce. Our reward is in the recognition afforded us when other scientists refer to our contributions and build on them. When we publish, we do not perish.

The rocks the Appalachians have been here for 300 Million years. Perhaps they were climbed by many others before us. Though there is no record of the deeds of our forefathers that we know of (other than one purple sling). And so, from now on, let it be known that, with help from Tim and Laura, Dr. Bob, and Toni, I saw and climbed a line at the Bruner Run Take Out cliffs, and that it shall be called “Trundlequeen”.

There is more than one way to leave a legacy.


To Grow List

1. “The legacy you leave is the life you lead”
(Kouzes & Posner, 2006, A Leader's Legacy, ISBN 0787092962)

2. You can realize good things with good planning and preparation;
you can accomplish exceptional things in the company of exceptional people

3. Remember humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment